Visualization tools: Glue and parallel coordinates

While i am not really an visualization specialist in any regard, i am still often dealing with the visualization of relatively complex multidimensional datasets. Among the usual and well known tools, matplotlib in combination with iPython, Gnu R and jupyter as interactive worksheet, i have found two very interesting projects: Glue and Parallel coordinates.

Glue is a system which allows the interactive exploration and investigation of complex and fragmented datasets, which is nicely demonstrated in a video:

My Dissertation is published

My Dissertation with the Title "Simulation of Ion Dynamics in Atmospheric Pressure Ionization Sources" is published by the university library as electronic document (PDF).

You can find additional details about the published document on the publication page of the university library.


As nearly the entire Drupal community which is using Drupal 7, i was also affected by the severe Drupal security bug. I have lost my website edits of the last weeks, therefore some blog entries and publications are missing right now.

The rollback of the installation here (and an entire server i do administrate elsewhere) was very annoying, but on the positive side i have to admit that i learned many new things.

Storms on 9. and 10. June 2014

Some photos of the thunderstorms in NRW on 9. and 10. June 2014:

Pictureset on Flickr

The storm on the evening of the 9. June was severe in the area around Neuss with very strong wind gusts. Many trees was disrootet and damaged cars and houses. At least 6 people was killed.

DIA Explorer: Experimental DIA projections

I have also used the DIA explorer script to show an exemplary data set of measured DIA (distribution of ion acceptance) in a commercial AP ion source (Bruker MPIS):

DIA Explorer: Simulated 3d DIA

I have simulated fully spatially resolved 3D DIA (distribution of ion acceptance) and i wrote a simple little javascript tool to browse the generated simulated data:

Ion trajectories in MPIS, imported with SimBlend, rendered with Blender

I have rendered some simulated ion trajectories in the MPIS. The trajectories was imported with SimBlend and was rendered with Blender

Drupal 7

I have updated the site to Drupal 7 and this caused (as always) some collateral damage on the site.

Probably i will repair the "projects" section soon, but now i am happy that the base functionality is up again.

The thing with LaTeX, Unicode, PDF, Umlaute and OS-X

It is a well known critique against (PDF)LaTeX in the german speaking region that LaTeX tend to mess up umlaute (äöü) by composing them by the base letter (aou) followed by a diacritic character. The causes for this are buried deep somewhere in the inner guts of LaTeX/TeX (at least for me as a dumb user). However, this can be avoided by using "T1" fonts. Therefore not a general problem and i kept promoting the usage of LaTeX for scientific writing (Theses, Papers etc.) as the way to go to my colleagues.

Then i was struck when i experienced that copying and pasting text with diacritics (in fact umlaute in a german title of a reference) from my thesis pdf, opened in preview on my mac, in my text editor (sublime edit) produced this:

Retrieve cleartext from binary encoded Mediawiki database tables

For me (who is not that familiar with databases and SQL) it was a little effort to find the right SQL statement to retrieve the cleartext from a binary encoded mysql table from a mediawiki (1.18.1) installation. The following little SQL statement did the trick, it gives the user names of all users in cleartext:



Subscribe to Front page feed